Our Transformative Approach
Working with East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) offers you opportunities to apply social justice values and a racial equity lens to your philanthropic giving and build a deeper connection to the East Bay.
EBCF is a place-based organization transforming good intentions into community impact. Because of our deep commitment to Alameda and Contra Costa counties, our team can offer you a truly East Bay giving experience.
Learning & Leading Together
Learning opportunities through our blog, email newsletters, and events allow donors to explore the most effective ways to have an impact. Our staff are experts on the issues affecting our community and they can help you understand the root causes of inequities in our region. You will also learn from local organizations and the movement leaders on the front lines of social change.
Engaging in Social Change
At EBCF, you will find a community of like-minded donors driven to advance an inclusive, fair, and just East Bay. Here are some of the reasons our community of donors are proud to partner with EBCF:
- Working with an EBCF philanthropic advisor gives you access to the most effective ways to create impact aligned to your social justice values.
- Community interest funds and giving circles allow you to widen your impact across multiple local organizations and leaders.
- The hate-free grantmaking clause of our grants due diligence policy ensures that no dollars granted by EBCF from a Donor Advised Fund will support organizations engaging in hateful activities.
- Our inactive funds policy ensures that all our fund advisors are actively involved in using their funds to create community impact.
- Beyond current socially responsible investing standards, EBCF is committed to ensuring that 100% of the assets we manage on behalf of our community of donors are invested with racial justice as a focus. We screen our investments to avoid industries that are not aligned with our mission and values.
- Our administrative services facilitate your grantmaking.
Doing your giving with East Bay Community Foundation makes it possible to maximize the tax benefits and the impact of your philanthropy in the most efficient, knowledgeable, and cost-effective way.
Our expertise spans more than 90 years of leading critical community initiatives and funding thousands of nonprofits throughout the region.
Ways to Engage
Open a Fund
If you’re ready to begin giving back to the East Bay and other communities you care about, consider opening a charitable vehicle with us. We offer several options depending on your goals and needs.
You can’t predict our community’s future needs, but you can rest assured knowing that EBCF will continue to partner with donors, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home.
As an active fund advisor, there are some important resources you can keep at your fingertips. Get information on transferring assets into your fund, link to DonorCentral, and learn more about donor organizing.
A Giving Circle is a form of shared giving in which like-minded donors pool their resources in order to support greater social change. By working together, donors can leverage their individual gifts into larger impact grants that aid several organizations.
Campaign for A Just East Bay
EBCF is a bridge connecting donors to the possibility of creating real transformation, reshaping the world we live in into one aligned with our values of inclusion, fairness, and justice. Contributions to the Campaign fund EBCF’s strategic regional grantmaking, impact investing, and innovations in grantmaking work.
Learn how you can make loans, loan guarantees, and private equity investments.
Our Opportunity Pool has withstood the test of intense market volatility and has outperformed our other pools. Learn how we did it.
BIPOC make up 40% of the U.S. population but 98% of wealth is managed by others. EBCF is leveraging its investments to narrow the racial wealth gap. CFO Valerie Red-Horse Mohl explains.
Get In Touch
Our development staff are looking forward to assisting you as you explore the options available to you.