The Women’s Catalytic Fund (WCF) is a giving circle that believes in the power of women to drive social change. The circle has been active for 13 years and granted nearly $3.5 million to non-profit organizations in the Bay Area and California. In 2017, the circle moved its ‘home’ to EBCF.
In the past, the circle conducted an annual grant-making process. However, members recognized that women’s movements need the ability to respond to threats and opportunities with more flexible and responsive funding. This drove the circle to shift to shorter, more frequent grantmaking in 2019 in order to put resources into the hands of women more quickly.
Through its catalytic giving, the WCF is prepared to take risks, respond rapidly, and give directly to frontline organizers working to end gender-based inequity early, when resources are most needed. Typically, these are one-time $15,000 grants to ensure financial resources are not a barrier to action.
Due to the challenging issues of 2020, including the Covid-19 pandemic and mounting pressure for racial, social and environmental justice, the Women’s Catalytic Fund opened our Fall 2020 funding cycle to the 12 organizations we funded in prior cycles. These organizations were invited to apply for one-time supplemental grants of $10,000. We are proud to announce that the following organizations will receive funding through our Fall 2020 cycle.
- Total Empowerment Life Coaching
- Justice Now
- Oakland Bloom
- California Coalition for Women Prisoners
- The Radical Monarchs
- Safe Return Project
- ACT for Women and Girls
- California Healthy Nail Salon Collaborative
- Contra Costa Family Justice Alliance
- Esq. Apprentice
Grantees of the Women’s Catalytic Fund
- Native Sister’s Circle: https://nativesisterscircle.wixsite.com/nativesisterscircle
Native Sisters Circle is the leading Youth Organization in the greater Sacramento area – inspiring youth to embrace their true identity while unleashing their inner potential through culture. The Women’s Catalytic Fund grant will fund a MMIW (Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women) Water Walk in Sacramento on April 22, 2021 which the youth are spearheading.
- Kitchen Table Advisors: https://www.kitchentableadvisors.org/
Kitchen Table Advisors fuels the economic viability of sustainable small farms and ranches through practical business advising and trusted relationships.The Women’s Catalytic Fund grant will fund a gender specific pilot project to convene Latina farmers to offer structured and unstructured time for participants to network with one another and share experiences and support as well as access to resources to address their unique needs as Latina farmers.
- Legal Link: https://legallink.org
Legal Link removes legal barriers that prolong poverty by adding critically needed capacity to the legal ecosystem. They embed legal navigation support in community-based settings by training and supporting frontline partners to identify legal issues, surface unmet legal needs, and access legal protections. The Women’s Catalytic Fund grant will fund a new initiative to develop partnerships with, and bring their unique Legal First Aid training to, community partners led by and serving BIPOC women in Contra Costa and Alameda counties.
- Asian Pacific Self-Development and Residential Association (APSARA): https://apsaraonline.org/
APSARA is a grassroots membership organization home to the largest concentrated Southeast Asian population in Stockton, and the last remaining affordable housing property collectively owned by Cambodian refugees in the United States. APSARA has been an anchor institution in the Southeast Asian community in Stockton, providing space, organizing infrastructure and leadership for community work ranging from deportation defense to access to healthcare and youth leadership development. The Women’s Catalytic Fund grant will fund a refugee women’s leadership circle which will build trust and open space for vulnerable conversations and support a vision and solutions for women’s independence and empowerment, and design and present a liberatory strategy for the women in the group.
- Total Empowerment Life Coaching: https://www.twelc.org/mission-vision
- Justice Now https://www.justicenow.org
- Oakland Bloom: http://oaklandbloom.org
- Black LGTBQ + Migrant Project (BLMP) https://transgenderlawcenter.org/programs/blmp
- California Coalition for Women Prisoners: #MeToo Behind Bars Documentation Project: https://womenprisoners.org/
- The Radical Monarchs: Radical Alumni Program: http://radicalmonarchs.org/
- Safe Return Project: Re-investing in Formerly Incarcerated Women & Girls: https://www.safereturnprj.org/
- ACT for Women and Girls: Truth to Power ACTion Team: https://www.actforwomenandgirls.org/
The Women’s Catalytic Fund will be accepting applications for their next grant round in the Fall of 2021. The exact date is yet to be determined. If you have any questions or would like to be added to our list, please email WCFgrantinformation@gmail.com.