The Possibility of the Moment
This has been an extremely challenging year, and yet as I write this note, I feel a sense of hope about the future and an extraordinary feeling of pride about what we as a community have accomplished in the face of tremendous adversity.
This year we experienced a global pandemic, a deepening economic crisis, and a national reckoning around anti-Black racism. This moment has pulled back the veil of how broken our public systems are, and how racism still runs so deep in every aspect of our lives. There is acute pain, suffering, and injustice in our region and across our nation. In the face of this, we have the chance to double down in our work together, in honor of social justice leaders like Justice Ginsberg and John Lewis, whom we lost this year. I call on us to lean into the possibility of this historic moment.
Please click below to learn more about EBCF’s community-leaders on the frontlines:
At the East Bay Community Foundation, we will lean into this moment by committing to grow, align, and take advantage of all of our organizational resources in service of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color-led grassroots movements that build power to achieve concrete changes in these communities while transforming systems for equity and liberation.
To do this, EBCF will continue to prioritize the following four core strategies, always with an eye towards communities in our region:
- Support for community organizing, power-building, and movement-building
- Capacity-building for racial justice
- Fostering new, inclusive economic models
- Cultural strategies, including the arts, for social and racial justice
Simultaneously, we are committed to:
- Partnering with EBCF fund holders by providing engaging and innovative expertise to help maximize their philanthropic impact during a worldwide public health pandemic, social and racial justice movements, and other community partnerships they are passionate about;
- Developing an action plan to manage all of our financial assets to align with our social justice and racial equity values.
- Continuing our work to provide deep learning opportunities for our donor, fundholder, and professional advisor partners on the structural causes of inequity in our region.
To do all of these things, we ask you to join us. Here is one concrete action that you can take today:
Make a financial contribution to EBCF’s efforts to support leaders and organizations working to build a more just region. To support the Foundation from your EBCF DAF, log into Donor Central, scroll down to “Funding Opportunities”, find “EBCF General Support” and click “Make a Grant.”
By investing in this effort, you are entrusting EBCF to allocate resources into strategies and initiatives that have been co-designed by community leaders, such as our ASCEND: BLO initiative and our Inclusive Economy initiative, among others. You are also allowing us to directly invest in community partner organizations that are leading the fight to transform systems that will make it possible for us all to live a life with justice and dignity.
We know that the challenges we confronted this year are not new and will not be resolved with fundraising alone, but by working together I know that we can make a meaningful difference. We are excited to share new ways to bring the EBCF community together.
As always, thank you. I hope that you and your loved ones are finding safety, moments of gratitude, and even joy this season. Thank you for being a part of our EBCF community.
James W. Head
President and Chief Executive Officer
East Bay Community Foundation
P.S. Don’t forget about our year-end guidelines and deadlines.
Comments are closed.