Reports to: President and CEO
Hours and Location: Full Time/Exempt. Oakland, CA.
Starting Salary: $180,000 – $190,000
About East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF)
East Bay Community Foundation seeks to challenge the status quo by partnering with donors, social movements and our communities to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home. Founded in 1928, EBCF was one of the nation’s first community foundations, and in 2019, EBCF was named the country’s “boldest” community foundation by Inside Philanthropy.
With a strategic regional focus on Alameda and Contra Costa counties, the Foundation has started implementing new ways of partnering with donors in a framework known as “donor organizing,” taking steps to build solidarity among donors and our communities through philanthropy. As a donor-advised fund provider, EBCF works closely with donors as partners and leaders in this journey by advising and facilitating their grantmaking, offering impact investing options, and creating learning and engagement opportunities. While the foci of EBCF’s Development team are revenue generation and donor organizing, EBCF also plays a critical role in the infrastructure of the East Bay’s social sector through its grantmaking, capacity building, and advocacy work to advance racial justice.
EBCF is implementing exciting strategies to advance the vision of A Just East Bay by partnering with donors, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home. As a relatively small community foundation doing BIG things, EBCF must evolve its revenue model for long term financial sustainability. EBCF seeks a strategic and innovative team leader that is passionate about the power of pooling community assets to affect systemic economic and social change.
The VP of Development will be responsible for: (1) leading planning and implementation for a multi-year and values-aligned strategic revenue plan to ensure growth and long-term operational sustainability; (2) building, mentoring, and coaching a team of highly skilled and experienced philanthropic advisors and donor services professionals to develop and implement year round fundraising strategies to raise substantial new resources, (3) stewarding and aligning a select segment of EBCF’s fund advisors, donors, and foundation and corporate partners to deepen their philanthropic partnership with EBCF and be civic leaders for A Just East Bay; and (4) overseeing the ongoing implement of donor services policies that aim to increase transparency, accountability, and the flow of charitable dollars into the community.
This position will require a deep understanding of the lived experiences of our community, racial and social justice analysis, and business acumen of a visionary leader and team player.
- A strategic thinker and seasoned development professional who lives the values of racial justice, racial equity, disruption & discomfort, centering BIPOC communities, and integrity?
- A visionary changemaker passionate about the East Bay and working in community and coalition?
- A team leader skilled in coaching and developing a unique, thoughtful, and talented team towards a common vision?
- An excellent listener, communicator, and organizer, who prioritizes community needs?
- A collaborator and coach who will partner with others to help realize the goals of the organization?
- Have experience facilitating transparent decision-making and consensus building processes?
- Have a passion for building community, creating change through social impact organizations, and leading high-impact teams?
- Have experience working with high-net worth individuals and families at the intersection of wealth and social justice?
- Believe in the importance of inspiring donors to become powerful participants and allies in local social justice movements?
- Have the ability and interest to engage in difficult conversations around class and race for the purpose of creating understanding, building coalitions, and drawing in newcomers?
- Have knowledge of and relationships in the East Bay, particularly around philanthropy and its social justice landscape?
The VP of Development reports directly to the EBCF President and CEO, Brandi Howard. A third-generation Oakland native, Brandi has deep experience with equity-and justice-based change and organizational development. She is excited to partner closely with the VP of Development to advance EBCF’s mission.
The VP of Development leads, mentors, and coaches a talented team of 12 development and donor services professionals, including two directors who provide direct supervision to other team members.
The VP works closely with board members and donors. The VP of Development will have a strong racial justice and social justice background and will know how to talk about issues around power, privilege, and identity with comfort and authenticity.
Strategic Planning and Implementation
- Lead the design and manage the implementation of a comprehensive strategic revenue model to ensure operational and financial sustainability.
- Develop multi-year revenue budget forecasts.
- Develop multi-year and annual fundraising strategy in collaboration with the senior philanthropic team.
- Lead investigation and pursuit of new viable revenue streams.
- Identify and foster strong partnerships with key East Bay leaders and organizations. EBCF is often tapped as a convener because of its position at the intersection of community movements, social enterprises, government organizations, and corporations.
Donor Cultivation, Stewardship, and Learning
- Advance the success and expand the impact of the team across the East Bay community by representing EBCF in external environments.
- Oversee the development team’s prospecting and cultivation strategies in furtherance of operational and financial sustainability.
- Steward a select segment of prospects, cultivating alignment with EBCF’s values and giving to EBCF, with a particular focus on key areas of growth as identified by the Foundation and in partnership with the President and CEO and the Board of Directors.
- Oversee team efforts to enhance external partnership with wealth managers and professional advisors as sources of referrals for DAFs and major and planned gifts.
- Partner with a portfolio of current donors to ground their philanthropy in social justice values and EBCF’s core program strategies.
- Oversee the “donor organizing” program to engage donors in becoming effective, powerful allies and advocates for the vision of A Just East Bay. EBCF uses a community organizing framework for stewarding donors and providing learning opportunities, work which is shaped by a cross-departmental committee of staff.
- Lead people and engage resources within the EBCF network to create strong engagement opportunities(In-person, virtual, and hybrid) for current and future donors.
- Model and foster a strong team culture of collaboration and commitment to racial equity and racial justice, providing support for the ongoing professional development and growth of the team.
- Support the Director of Donor Services to create and execute a plan to build the donor services and stewardship functions of the Foundation.
- Support a team of Philanthropic Advisors, which currently includes an Interim Director and four Senior Advisors. This team focuses on growing the number of aligned funds under management, soliciting individual support for EBCF’s initiatives, and providing mission-aligned philanthropic advisory services to fund advisors.
- Manage and support the Lead Institutional Partnerships Officer, Development Data Manager, and the Development Associate.
- Lead beyond the department as a senior leader for the entire organization increasing transparency and connectedness to the overall mission, vision, and operational goals.
- Act as a change agent and leader within the Foundation to strengthen our organization.
- Serve as an effective and inspiring spokesperson for EBCF’s collective work for both external and internal audiences.
- Work closely with the President and CEO to fully engage the Board of Directors in fundraising, their philanthropy, and donor activities.
- Provide quarterly reports and updates about fundraising progress to the Board and the Foundation Development Committee.
- Help forecast contributed revenue and manage department budget serving as a strong steward of organizational resources.
- Experience leading organizations through strategic revenue planning processes with diverse stakeholders
- Experience developing multi-year revenue forecasts
- Authenticity, charisma and humility
- Experience fundraising with individuals and institutional funders, including experience deploying “moves management” strategies resulting in increased engagement and giving over time
- Passion for the mission of EBCF to partner with donors, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home
- Ten plus years of philanthropic advising or fundraising, donor organizing, or philanthropic advising experience (paid or unpaid experience)
- Five plus years managing and leading a team
- Excitement for and experience developing and executing new business strategies, testing bold approaches within philanthropy, that center community voices, apply trust-based strategies and reimagine donor engagement and learning, while appreciating, learning from, and building on EBCF’s rich history and unique place-based strengths
- Skilled and excited to build trust with people, listen, ask questions, respond to feedback, and build authentic relationships around the issues they care about, and activating those interests towards social justice
- Demonstrated commitment to racial, economic, and social justice and equity
- Fluency in and comfort talking and educating others about oppressions such as racism, sexism, and classism and an understanding of how their own experiences and background relate
- Results-oriented, solutions-oriented, and goals-oriented team player: “low ego, high output” mindset and high level of emotional intelligence, compassion, creativity
- Strong project management skills: strong track record of creating work plans, setting goals, measurable targets, balancing multiple tasks and projects, and meeting deadlines, and excellent attention to detail
- Ability to assess situations, and prioritize tasks and their levels of importance
- Ability to delegate tasks and manage others without hovering or micro-managing
- Possess strong technological experience to assess and support the implementation of new systems
- Highly collaborative, flexible, creative, and open to shifting priorities and timelines and an ability to identify new, creative solutions when challenges arise
- Enthusiastic to build a stronger organization that operationalizes its mission, vision, and values, internally and externally
- Excellent persuasive communication skills (written, visual, oral) with internal and external stakeholders
The salary range for this position is $180,000 to $190,000 plus benefits including full employee
premium and a percentage of dependents premium, depending on the health insurance plan chosen by
the employee. Flexible Spending Account, Employee Assistance Program,15 days PTO in year one, 20 days in year two and thereafter, sick leave, 17 paid holidays a year, 401k retirement savings plan with 5% employer match, group term life insurance, disability insurance, annual professional development budget, commuter benefits, and matching gifts program.
EBCF is partnering with Cook Silverman on this search.
To apply for this position, or for additional information on the opportunity, please send a copy of
your resume with a cover letter to Victoria Silverman at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications and inquiries will receive a response and be kept strictly confidential.
COVID-19: All employees of the East Bay Community Foundation are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and must provide proof of their vaccination status.
The East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is an equal-opportunity employer with a commitment to
racial justice and racial equity. EBCF does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will organization. The Foundation welcomes and encourages people of color, women, LGBTQIA+ people, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups to apply.