Open a Donor Advised Fund
Start Your Impact Here
Explore a variety of charitable fund types to meet your charitable interests and financial planning goals. EBCF manages all administrative and reporting requirements.
Donor Advised Fund
Our most popular fund: most commonly used by individuals and families. Donors receive an immediate tax deduction upon establishment of the fund, and recommend grants from the fund over time based on interests or data supplied by the foundation about the pressing needs in the East Bay. For details, click here.
Like a Donor Advised Fund except that it designates one or several, specific organizations to receive grants, thus ensuring these organizations receive ongoing support over time.
Field of Interest Fund
Supports a field of interest or a specific issue. Choose your own or invest in one of the Foundation’s existing field of interest funds supporting access to quality childcare, sustainable job creation, small business development, East Bay artists, Oakland schools or others. For more information, click here.
Commonly used by those who wish to establish a charitable legacy. Funded via a gift from your estate aimed at guaranteeing that your charitable intentions are fulfilled after your death. EBCF works with you to write a fund agreement describing how the fund should operate, who will make decisions on its behalf, and what charities it will support. For more information, click here.
Supporting Organization Fund
An alternative to a private foundation for individuals interested in significant giving. A supporting foundation fund at the East Bay Community Foundation — unlike a donor advised fund – requires its own board of directors and its own charitable-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service. For more information, click here.
Commonly established by corporations, other businesses, and non-profit organizations. EBCF works with the entity to shape a grants program that meets the organizations’ charitable objectives and to evaluate the effectiveness of the grants. For details, click here.
First, decide how you would like to make the contribution to establish the fund. You may contribute cash, securities, or other property valued at $10,000 or more.
- Select a name for your fund. You might want to use your own name, the name of a family member or one which provides you with anonymity.
- Designate current fund advisors, such as yourself and spouse, and successor advisors such as your children.
- Choose an investment strategy for the fund.
- Complete and sign a fund agreement.
- Add to the fund at any time in any dollar amount.
- Recommend distributions from your fund to charities locally, throughout the US or internationally. There is no limit to the number of grants you can award each year.
- Specify how grant disbursements are to be acknowledged – whether in the name of the fund or anonymously.
- Receive information from the Foundation about charities that meet your philanthropic goals in your own community and beyond.
Once your fund is established, you may choose to partner with the Foundation on our “focus” issues of most pressing needs in the East Bay. Learn more.
Our staff is ready to assist you. For more information, please contact us.
Get in Touch
- Jeri Boomgaarden, Managing Director of Donor Services & Senior Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 208-0857.
- Nicole Kyauk, Senior Development Officer, email@example.com or (510) 208-0840.
- Christine Lim, Senior Development Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or (510) 208-0844.